KU Med contacted me and let me know that I would not need another MRI before the surgery. Before they had said that they wanted me to have another one to make sure they have a good picture of the damaged area. After looking closer to the MRI scan already done, it was decided that another MRI was not needed.
I’ll need a blood test at my pre-op and will have to sit down with a pharmacist to discus meds that I can and cannot take.
Asked about the time-span in the hospital and the they said the 1st surgery of drilling the 6 holes and putting the things on my brain will last about 2 weeks to wait for a seizure to happen. When that does happen, I can go ahead and have the 2nd operation which will be the operation on the brain itself. After that, I stay in the hospital 3 more days.
I hope I explained this good enough. Trust me, I didn’t understand when my doctor explained it to me the first time either. I will be in the hospital the entire time between the first and second operations. The second operation is all set after I have my seizure with the probes covering my brain, not before then. Still, it is not set of stone as to if I will have this second operation. If the docs/surgeon don’t feel the second surgery is 100% safe and might effect other things (sight, etc.) then they will not go through with it. I’ll wait for another way to help me a few years down the road.
Over 2 weeks in the hospital. I do like Chipotle , but I may not be up to eating burritos. The side holes are going to be right at my jaw muscles and I may not be very up to opening my mouth, at least the first few days or so. Have to wait and see…